February 20, 2009

Barack 'Chimp' Obama



This passed Wednesday (February 18th, 2009, the New York Post issued a drawing from cartoonist Sean Delonas. In it, there were 2 police officers holding guns looking over a dead and bleeding chimpanzee...the same chimpanzee "Travis" that attacked a woman in Stamford, Connecticut. The comic read "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill." An email to Delonas and a call to the New York Post went unreturned.


Some believe that the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. The Post's Editor-in-Chief insists his cartoonist was simply mocking the authors of the fiscal stimulus Bill as no better than a team of trained monkeys. Others believe that it is referencing the President as a rapid chimpanzee and the fact that it is shot and dead, refers to his assasination..


Hmm, now I don't know what you guys are thinking but no matter how you look at it, it's still racists nonetheless. There's just no getting around it. When Al Sharpton is involved and you have the public picketing your paper, you know you fucked up. The public is in such uproar Sean Delonas better make sure he doesn't end up like our furry friend Travis.


I remember voting for Obama here at Purchase during voting week. I felt like i was apart of something special; history in the making. Obviously, that special feeling wasn't shared by everyone. It's sad to say but there was even a big racist issue here at Purchase a few years back..(sorry no sugar-coating for incoming students). I mean lets be honest, as liberal as this school is there is definitely still some prejudice and racist issues the go on. I wonder if prejudice will ever subside, doubt it though.

I feel really upset for what was published this passed Wednesday, I mean I believe for what the President stands for, he's a total 360 from Bush, and on top of that it has said that he has "Swagger"..what chimp do you know is as cool?

3 comments:

  1. I was shock to see the cartoon; it hurt a bit. I believe the NY Post were simply trying to sell papers, unfortunately "by any means necessary". We're in an economic rut and internet news is taking over, I'm sure their paper sales have declined.

    Its not enough to complain, protest or groan about what was published, the only true protest is NOT buying the paper anymore, as this would send a crystal clear message. Obviously, they'll get away with it because people will still buy their paper.

    From a business perspective they took a risk and although people were 'bent out of shape' about the cartoon, the publicity was tremendous and may result in even more people buying the paper due to its seemingly newfound provocative nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did hurt a lot actually. I couldn't believe that in 2009 that something of this nature was actually published. I mean, before anything is publish, doesn't it need to overlooked by a review board?

    Thanks for commenting though, I appreciate your opinion and look forward to seeing more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had no idea that newspapers could still be so thoughtless nowadays. That's severely messed up.

    ... Though I will say, "a total 360 from Bush" technically means that Obama's doing the same thing as him. I know that isn't what you meant to say, by my inner grammar-nazi is whining. It's best we ignore him.

    ReplyDelete