March 2, 2009

IMPEACHED!?!: Levin or Leavin'


This year's Major Events Coordinator for the PSGA has been Arts Management major, Jeff Levin. I first met Jeff during Intro to Arts Management class, when he was a freshman. When I heard word of him running for MEC, I was shocked because to find out he was running as a Freshman, I didn't know if he would get the votes.

Well he ended up getting the position obviously, but whether he did a good job or is doing a good job is the reason I'm writing this blog now. Two weeks ago on Monday the PSGA Senate called an emergency meeting to discuss the Article of Impeachment brought against Levin. Levin, as the MEC has the task of planning both Fall Fest and Culture Shock. I remember walking past the the PSGA office on that Monday and I remember it being packed but I didn't know what for. If I would've known it was for the discussion of Jeff Levin's impeachment, I would've been there as well.

After 2hrs of proceedings, there were 2 charges for impeachment against him: lack of knowledge of the PSGA Constitution and failure to adequately describe activities to the PSGA when requested. Al Rossin, a Senator from The New, initially filed for 6 total impeachment charges on February 18th. Rossin stated "Mr. Levin has demonstrated no clear understanding of his duties and powers of MEC, the PSGA Constitution, Finance Bylaws, and job duties i.e holding meetings and submitting minutes. Also on February 4th, the Senate asked LEvin to disclose the names of the performers he had booked for Culture Shock, Levin promised to do so by the next Senate meeting on February 11th. On the 11th, Levin was absent from the meeting and did not submit an Executive Report to the Chair of the Senate in a timely matter. A motion was also passed at that Senate meeting that required Levin to e-mail the campus community with Culture Shock line-up by Friday the 13th @ 5:00pm, an action he referred to as "ridiculous." At the meeting PSGA Senators and Purchase students were allowed to defend the accuser, pose questions to all parties, and address issues on the matter.

Personally, it is no suprise to me that Levin is up for impeachmentment. Last semester, I decided that interning for Culture Shock would be a great opportunity for an on-campus internship. I contacted the Dean of Arts, Jon Esser and he thought it was an excellent idea. I knew the person to get in contact with was Jeff Levin. He would be the supervisor I was working under and all 3 of us were to meet to figure out how the internship would be ran. I contacted Levin through e-mail several times, as well as multiple facebook msgs. He only responded by e-mail once, stating "How great of an idea" it was. I already knew that, I don't need you to tell me again, I need you to tell me where do we go from here?

Another colleague of mine, who you can find @ www.thekazspot.blogspot.com also said "Yo that dude doesn't respond to txt msgs either!" This colleague of mine was one of Levin's contacts for the booking of Culture Shock, he interns at the Source Magazine and already has a lot of contacts, so why wouldn't you take this type of opportunity by the horns!? If I was Levin and I was experiencing some of the problems that he claims he was, I would not keep the Senate in the dark about it. Regardless of what may be going on, you must always keep your company in the light instead of not saying anything...it just isn't acceptable in business. Come on Levin get on your job!---stick to Framework Records.

2 comments:

  1. very interesting post. any updates on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he ended up NOT getting impeached. He is still attempting to get musicians for culture shock. Let's cross our fingers.

    ReplyDelete