April 22, 2009

Culture Shock


This year's Culture Shock at Purchase wasn't exactly a "culture shock" so to speak. Last year there were different genres of music selected in order to provide that cultural experience for everyone. From merengue, salsa, and reggae to alternative, punk rock, and hip hop, everyone got a chance to enjoy and appreciate the different types of bands and artists. This year it seemed like mostly rock all day with a few performances from Purchase's very own. At the end of each day (Friday and Saturday) the hip-hop act would perform.


On friday Drake performed his first solo concert, which was complete mayhem. It was advertised online, on flyers, radio, and from word of mouth. People who I haven't spoken to in months, hit me up trying to get me to sign them in. This girl on facebook even changed her network to Purchase so she can add random people and ask if they could sign her and her friends in. WTF!!! People went so hard for this concert. But it's understandable why..Drake is definitely "the young spitter that everybody in rap fear.." Coming from playing the role of Jimmy from "Degrassi" to being signed to Young Money Ent. says a lot. His rep has increased from being hailed as "Lil Wayne's protege." The performance was definitely well worth it, although he didn't do many songs from his latest mixtape "So Far Gone," I still enjoyed myself. And believe it or not he actually sounds the way he does on tape as he does in person.



Next hip-hop performance was on Saturday at 10pm "The Cool Kids." For those who don't listen to The Cool Kids, then I guess they would say "they sucked" so to speak. I mean shit, they were throwing cup-cakes up on stage. One cupcake definitely hit Mickey Rock's silk letterman jacket and stuck to it. I didn't see The Cool Kids performance because I was currently at the Ricky Blaze performance at the S.O.C.A fashion show. But during the after party in the Student Center, I saw Mikey Rocks cooling out with Kaz of R.L.E so I went up to him and we chatted for a bit, he's DEF a "Cool Kid." He wanted to go to another after party with us but his team told him he had to make moves. I thought that it was cool that he wanted to chill with us though.


Since I wasn't at The Cool Kids concert, I got some footage of the Ricky Blaze performance. I'm not going to lie, I should've went to see The Cool Kids. A lot of people left the fashion show to go see The Cool Kids because the fashion started late and the concert was at 10pm. If the fashion show started on time, then people would've been able to see both Ricky Blaze and The Cool Kids. Ricky Blaze got paid $3,000 to do 3 songs and I only knew 1 of them. Nonetheless, I still got some footage and photos with him. I won't put footage of the performance because the acoustics suck. I will put a photo up though just to show how short he really is..smh.

8 comments:

  1. Damn I heard The Cool Kids got shitted on smh... Thats dope that Mikey Rocks was cool though I would have that he would have been mad cocky.

    O but I do have to disagree with the Drake not doing many songs from So Far Gone I felt like he should have done more of his old stuff like the things that got him out there first like "come winter" or "deceiving". I mean I personally like his older stuff more. 2nd time on this blog dope writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea "deceiving" is one of my favs too. I just thought for $7,000 he should have done more songs in general. But thanks for the love..

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa I had asked him to come up before when they wanted to get kids in the hall and before so far gone and he told me it was like $6000-$6500 the most *shrugs* he still put an okay show he def should have done more though. It was the time they spent getting the crowd ready getting people off stage and getting all the groupies away from his truck so he could get out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing that I am about 370 miles away from you and this concert, I will say that reading this post almost made me feel like I was in the 3rd row...can't say 1st because you didn't give me in-depth details about the shows, but overall, good shit.
    LOL @ the fiend changing networks on fb just to get in...be easy killer..Drake Drizzy is the business but come'on. (SN:Nice use of Drake's line in the post)

    LMMFAO @ The Cool Kids gettin' no respect...seems like dude was a cool kid though.

    And as for Ricky Blaze, most entertainers are short as hell...just one more to add to the list...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea i didn't want to do in depth details. it was just a general overview of what i thought and what happened...and you right, most entertainers are short. (lil wayne, bow wow, yung berg, cassidy, ray j, tyga, nas, t.i..etc)

    and to "kickstar" yea ..the wait was od. they was announcing him when he was no where to be found or even ready. that shit nuh guh suh.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG. I just saw this. Cupcakes used as a weapon? I mean, CUPCAKES? Such a waste. And it puts a bad spin to us cupcake lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol im sorry! i know you're a fan of cupcakes..u need to take that up with Godbuns apparently.

    ReplyDelete